Saturday, June 28, 2014

Gluten Free Summer Camp

This past week, I attended our local Council's Boy Scout summer camp program. There was a kitchen staff that provided food for the campers, but what about me? Since I am a Celiac, I wound up providing my own meals for this excursion. How did I do it? Planning, Ziploc bags, and airtight containers.


I decided the best way to do this, was to make it as easy as possible. I had to provide breakfast, lunch, and dinner for each day I was there. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am very organized and quite O.C.D. as well. I had one airtight container for each meal of the day. Inside those containers, I had a Ziploc bag for each meal. That way, when it was time to eat all I had to do was grab a bag out of the container.
For breakfast, each bag had two things. Some of the bags had a vanilla Greek yogurt and an Udi's Cinnamon Raisin Bagel. The other bags had the vanilla Greek yogurt and an Udi's Blueberry Oatmeal Muffin Top. This way I got some variation while I was there.

For Lunch, I had crackers, ham and turkey rounds, cheese blocks, and a pickle.

Dinner was a ham, turkey, and cheese sandwich on Udi's Multigrain bread with carrots and a pickle.


Each bag had the ham and turkey in smaller bags so that the bread and crackers didn't end up soggy before I got to eat them. The pickles also had their own bags for the same reason. Each kit also had napkins, and any necessary utensils.

If there is one thing that being a Celiac has taught me, it is that you can make anything work with some planning and a little bit of work.

No comments: