Saturday, March 26, 2011

Making It Work Gluten Free

For some, living gluten free is like a punishment.  It turns their world upside down and they have no idea what to do.  For others, it is a chance to change their life.  For me, it was a little of both.  I was fifteen when I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, and if you had asked me then, I would have said the world was ending.  Of course it really wasn't that dramatic, but you couldn't have convinced me.  Looking back now I laugh at myself because while it was hard at first, life is so much better now.  I can cook just about anything, and will eat just about anything that doesn't have gluten in it.  Both of these things happened because of my Celiac Disease.  I've always loved to cook, but after starting the gluten free diet, there was a lot of experimenting with recipes to get things to cook right and taste good. There were some successes and some huge failures, but every experience taught me something I could apply the next time. Now I can just make up a recipe as I go. That is something I never would have tried to do before the gluten free diet.  In a lot of ways, I have my Celiac Disease to thank for making me the person I am today.  I am a person that wants to help others in any way I can, which is why I started this blog.  I have tons of knowledge and secrets about living gluten free and I want to share it with anyone who wants it.  I remember starting out and having no idea what foods I could eat.  I would hope those starting out now would have better resources than I did back then, but if they don't they have the gluten free community.  From Facebook and Twitter, to Linked In and Gluten Free Faces.  We're all here to help those that need it, and to give ideas to each other.  That is the best thing gluten free has given me.

No comments: